Middle-Earth Role Playing (MERP), 1st edition, 2nd printing, softback role playing game
“Based on THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Perfect for seasoned players as well as those who have never experienced the thrill of fantasy role playing. Role playing is a type of game which allows you to assume the role of a character in a “living” novel. MIDDLE-EARTH ROLE PLAYING, M.E.R.P. for short, provides the structure and framework for role playing in the greatest fantasy setting of all time… J.R.R. TOLKIEN’S MIDDLE-EARTH.
MERP contains all the components required to play a fantasy role playing game:
- CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM – covering Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls, etc.
- MAGIC SYSTEM – simple yet comprehensive rules for spells.
- COMBAT SYSTEM – realistic and flavourful, fast and playable.
- GAMEMASTER GUIDELINES – material covering travel, encounters, weather, random events, healing, poisons, and magic items.
- CREATURES AND RACES – a detailed appendix covering the major beasts, monsters, and peoples.
- SAMPLE ADVENTURE – a starting adventure set in the Trollshaws, complete with layouts.”