d30 Sandbox Companion, softback supplement for Basic D&D and related OSR games, by Richard J. LeBlanc, Jr
“d30-based Mechanics, Charts, and Tables to Support and Simplify the Role of the DM
The d30 Sandbox Companion is the ideal right-hand man for the DM who wants to avoid his sandbox campaign running him. Whether starting an adventure from scratch, filling in the details of a campaign world, or just struggling to keep up with players, this compilation of d30-based mechanics, charts, and tables will support and simplify the role of the DM/GM at the tabletop. Inside these 30-something pages you’ll find a host of d30-based sandbox resources.
While the majority of the charts and tables in the book are generic to wilderness and settlement settings, NPC tables include details for 1e and BX comparable games, including Oe D&D, 1e AD&D, BX D&D, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, and Labyrinth Lord.
Inside these 30-something pages you’ll find a host of d30-based sandbox resources, including:
- a robust adventure generator that allows the DM flexibility to interpret its results, and to support existing campaigns
- wilderness tables for weather, off-course navigation, and foraging & hunting
- wilderness encounter tables for pilgrims, road travel, and castle/keep/stronghold patrols
- location generators for ruins, temples, magical places, castles/keeps/strongholds, and settlements of all sizes
- settlement background generators, including: government, economy, settlement issues, city guards & watches, availability of shops & suppliers, shop stock and shopkeeper information, and robust tavern information generators
- super-quick classed character generation, including: class, level, race, sex, attributes, and inventory
- an extensive set of NPC tools for both classed and non-classed characters, including: occupations, physical traits, persona & behavior, background, eccentricities, talents, and languages
- fast generation of complete sage information
- a system for quick-and-easy recruitment of henchmen & hirelings, including their reactions, and loyalty
- a wilderness mapping key, a Hex Crawl Worksheet, a Settlement Worksheet, and an NPC Record Sheet to assist DMs in fleshing out their campaign worlds
- And much more!”